Search our site

Contact Us

Answer yes if a real person is sending this message

Help keep this site online!

Translate this site

Share this page!

Home History Schools Little Red Schoolhouse



The Webber's Mill School, located in "Schoolhouse Park", now known as "The Little Red Schoolhouse" was built on the Sweet Road in 1890 at a cost of only $150.
The first teacher at the school was Ellen Lewis, who was paid the grand sum of $3.00 a week plus room and board. The teachers from 1892-1901 were paid $6.00 a week - or less. The teachers during this period were Effie Adams, Mae Edwards, Alice Ballantyne, Myra Chesley, Nellie White, and Gertrude Fiske.
In 1919 the schoolhouse was moved to the corner of Frost Street and Lee Street. The teacher at that time was Edna Kneeland, who was paid $12 a week. Kathleen Pickering was the last teacher at the school before it was closed in the early 1920's. She was paid $16.00 a week.
In 1924 or 25 the Lincoln school committee was authorized to sell the school building since a new school had opened in Lincoln Center. That new school is the current V.F.W. Hall. The old school was purchased by Forrest Kneeland and moved closer to the center of town on Lee Street where it was used as a grocery store for 20 years.
In 1945 or 46 Leo Taylor bought the building and moved it to Mechanic Street. It stayed at that location until 1976, where it was rented to various people and businesses including The Lincoln Credit Union. In 1976, the building was again sold, this time to the Lincoln Bicentennial Committee. They moved it to the grounds of Mattanawcook Academy.
On July 15, 1997, the building was moved again to its present location in Schoolhouse Park on the corners of Perry Street and West 
Broadway. The park and grounds are owned and maintained by the Lincoln Historical Society. Their hope is that this connection to the past will be preserved for future generations to enjoy.
During the summer and fall of 2006, the Lincoln Historical Society has been involved in extensive inside and outside renovations to the schoolhouse. These renovations were funded by the Lincoln Federal Credit Union. A "re-opening" Open House was held in the spring of 2007.
The Little Red Schoolhouse is open during Homecoming in late July, and by appointment. For tours of the school and park call 207-794-8996.
All Photos courtesy of Lee Rand. 
And now for a look at the store in its early days! At left is Forrest Kneeland inside his store. The photos below show a log truck making its way past the store, Mr. Kneeland in front of the building, and a couple of kids on the steps.
Baxter's canned foods were available at Kneeland's Grocery Store, along with hams and bacon cured in Bangor. Krispy Crackers, Kellogg's cereals, Revere sugar, Jello, Argo starch and Arm & Hammer baking soda could also be found on his shelves.
Mr. Kneeland had a no smoking sign in his store.
The old school during its years on Mechanic Street in downtown Lincoln - it's the small building in the right center in this photo.
The School Room building on the right was added in June 2012. It houses school items owned by the Lincoln Historical Society other than those relating to the Little Red Schoolhouse.